SAVE THE EARTH
SAVE THE EARTH
by Kate Jeong
As the earth ages, the natural resources decrease. They won’t always be around, so how can we, as inhabitants of the earth, try to reduce excess energy that is unneeded?
- Bike short distances. When it comes to protecting the planet, biking instead of driving can reduce more than 90 percent of greenhouse gas emissions. Another plus is that you can get fit from this exercise. It’s a two in one!
- Shop online! This involves less energy use and fewer carbon dioxide emissions than in-store shopping. Next time you’re on a shopping spree, make sure to go on the web instead- it is so much more helpful.
- Donate to food kitchens. There are thousands and so much more starving and living on one meal per day. Instead of throwing out uneaten food to let it rot, donate for a better cause.
- Compost waste. Composting is recycling nutrients back into the ecosystem, which keeps food out of landfills and waterways and enriches the soil. They also help earthworms thrive, which are very important to the environment.
- Ditch the plastic. 17 million barrels of oil are used in the production of disposable water bottles. Be part of the solution by investing in a BPA free water bottle.
- Pick up your trash. Never, ever litter. They will be picked up by an unsuspecting animal, only to be used to choking them. Certain litter also does not decay, and could take up to more than thousands of years to finally be gone.
- Save the trees. Don’t waste paper- if you have to print, try to have it front and back sided. Don’t rip off a vast amount of toilet paper, too. Use only the amount you need- less is best.
- Turn off the lights. Nobody needs to turn on every single light in the house. That’s a huge waste of electricity that is barely used. Make sure to turn off the lights when you leave the house, and in turn, you can also save expenses.
- Say goodbye to meat- just for a little bit. Going meatless just one day a week can save you money and help our planet. About 24 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions are from agriculture or the cultivation of crops and livestock, according to the data of Environmental Protection Agency.
- Switch up the laundry style. If you get some cold water detergent, you can save energy and money on heating the water you use for all of your laundry, and best of all, you’re taking part in saving our planet.
These are just a tiny miniscule ways you can save our planet. Always remember these tips to help earth out. This is our one and only home, so therefore we should care well for it. Go green!